Education is essential for complete development of an individual, which is much more than getting a good job and handsome salary. In student life, travelling abroad to study overseas in a reputed institute or University can be a life turning experience. Moreover, such international exposure and experience can bring innumerable benefits to you as a college student.
As student, you get exposure to a new culture to learn, comprehend and interact with. In addition, you get first-hand experience of what was studied as part of course curriculum about that country and adjoining countries too.
Your educational experience is limited to your own country till now. By opting to study abroad, you get access to the opportunity of getting an all new experience of a different style of education. This brings with itself an opportunity to interact and understand their people, its traditions and the distinct culture.
Once you are considering your options for studying abroad, other than the country and the course you are going to pursue, the right school or college is also of great significance. And, once everything including your Visa formalities are completed, you are almost set to fly off towards a rewarding future.
Most relevant thing at this moment is your ‘Packing List’ which ensures that you have everything that can be asked from you on the way, or you could require them to make your stay in that foreign land comfortable to be able to cope up well with your course requirements.
- It is a common tendency that we try to pack ‘some bit’ of almost everything that we think could be needed when going out. This turns up into overstuffed suitcases only to realize later that most it remains unpacked and unused for even few months. It is best to pack light and stick to the list of essentials.
- The ‘must have’ list should definitely include toiletries which may not be available in that country.
- Another significant consideration is the weather around the year. In addition to the regular dresses, make sure to pack one for the warmer months and one suitable for the colder months. Not just clothes, keep sufficient undergarments which will last at least for two weeks. Footwear is also crucial for your ease of socializing. Make sure to carry several pairs of shoes and slippers so that there is something appropriate available with you at all times. One or two should be such which are comfortable to walk and wear whole day long and some pair which goes with any attire.
- It may take some time to get overly busy with studies and with newly made friends. In the initial days, you may like to spend some time on your pastimes like listening to music or reading books rather than spending time unproductively or getting bored in your room.
- A pre-made list of what you wish to do in the initial days and during your first semester helps you utilize your time the most. It could include visits to some museums and public places, exploring local stores for necessities, etc.
- A cross shoulder bag makes it convenient while being in crowded areas, especially places of tourist attractions. This bag allows you to see your bag in front of your eyes reducing the chances of having your belongings being stolen.
- You may avoid packing dictionary, guide books, local maps etc. just to reduce your baggage. Instead it is recommended that your go through the information on your city before your trip begins, make notes and to do list with the information gathered so that you are able to have some fun-filled adventure during the travel. Explore the city like a local resident and you will figure out the best for yourself, with respect to the necessity purchases, good places to eat and shop, and favorite places to visit during some free time.
- With respect to accessories, a mobile device, a kindle or e-book reader, an i-pod or music player device, Bluetooth speaker, power bank etc. can be things worth packing in your bag. If you are an avid reader, you could pre-download books related to your course curriculum which will be very useful and helpful. You don’t have to be a photographer to use a camera. Camera can be the best way to capture memories of your home country before leaving and the magic and life of new country as you explore it. This will be a great partner in the moments of home sickness.
- Student Identity Card is going to be very crucial at various checking points. Moreover, by carrying the ID card with you might bring some pleasant surprises for you in the form of amazing discounts offered to students while they are studying abroad. This includes discount at museums and other tourist places.
So, pack your bags and get going!!